The Korean title is "Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo" or any other combination of those words as they differ from various sources.
I absolutely LOOOOOVED BBJX (lol let's be real, I loved 4 and Ruo Xi) so I'm trying to keep my expectations very low for the Korean version, because I really would rather be pleasantly surprised at how good it is rather than disappointed at it not living up to my high hopes. And since I adore BBJX I'm sure I'll often compare BBJX and Ryeo without being able to help it.
So here goes me watching, recapping (not really but kind of?) and commenting on Ryeo's pilot episode!

Oooh right off the bat I am very impressed with IU's subtle yet moving acting. I love how Han Ji couldn't help but save that little boy, even after she tries to talk herself out of it. It's a great insight into how kind she is.

YOOO the river-sun eclipse sequence had me sit up and stop eating. This was excitinggg.
Ooh lots of brief flashbacks of her modern life, can't wait for those to be explained.
I'm sure her going into the river barefoot during an eclipse in that particular river will mean something later on.
Very cinematic & beautiful shots of 4 riding through the fields. I cannot with his guyliner though.
WELL HELLLOOOOO PRINCES HUBBA HUBBA.
Wait, 3rd has the same mom as 4? That's different from BBJX.
Well that's an interesting way to bring Ha Ji into the Goryeo world. I like it!
WTF JUST HAPPENED HE BEHEADED A HORSE YO. This incarnation of the 4th is repelling me.
What is with the Phantom of the Opera mask, I can't wait until that's explained.
He's a hostage of a clan who claims to have adopted him? Boy SH Ryeo sure is trying super hard to differentiate itself from BBJX.

Hae Soo waking up with a bandage over her bed in her Goryeo bedroom reminds me of the opening scene of BBJX :)

"Ah, right. I died." LOLLLL

Again, stellar acting by IU, I am LOVING her so far.

Ahhh 6th cousin instead of sister. I wonder if she's married to 8th too in Ryeo.

It's a good thing girl remembers her history and can determine where and when she is at the moment. With my limited knowledge of history, I would end up never figuring out when the heck I am at.

8th starting the plea shows his diplomatic savviness.

damn son his own mom didn't wanna see him :((

Ooh an interesting question is posed; is she really Ha Jin transported into Hae Soo's body? Or is she really Hae Soo who has gained the memories of Ha Jin? An interesting thought I don't think was ever posed in BBJX. Well done Ryeo's writers.

Aww she's so optimistic, trying to calm herself down and reminding herself to be grateful and stay positive. Loving her even more.

Ryeo is really showing how frightened Hae Soo is, bringing more gravitas to her situation, something that never occurred to me while watching BBJX. I mean, she woke up IN ANOTHER ERA. Girl must be super confused and scared. I love how Ryeo is taking the time to show how confused and frightened Hae Soo is. I think in BBJX they just had Ruo Xi realize where she is, and after some period of being perplexed she starts to adapt, slowly but cheerfully, to the Qing dynasty. The whole tone was very light and comedic. Here in Ryeo we see a darker side of the situation, where the female lead is much more scared. This is bringing more realism into the drama. Even with the ridiculousness that is 4th right now.

With 8th extending his hand to her and Hae Soo making a decision to live and survive in this era, it's almost like 8th is bringing her back to life, and bringing her into the Goryeo world, much like how he claimed he "brought her here'. I'm so excited for the backstory of 8th and Hae Soo to be explained.

YOOO THE QUEEN IS CRAZY YO, YOU DON'T HOLD UP A KNIFE SO CLOSE TO YOUR LITTLE SON LIKE THAT.

OMG OMG THIS IS HOW HE GOT THE SCAR.

OMG POOR BABYYYY.

Other differences from BBJX; we're also getting some characterization of what Hae Soo was like before Ha Ji inhabitted her body.

The bit where Hae Soo is delighted and finding herself in a much younger (and fitter and firmer) body :)

Aww the camraderie and bantering of the brothers are cute too watch.

"It's all right, you're big in other areas."
All stares.
"His heart and consideration for others."
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Awww it's not that this 8th prince has a wife he dotes on and who dotes him back. BBJX's 8th had such lousy relationships with his 2 wives.

DAMN GIRL look at Hae Soo go, reading body language and analyzing this snotty princess correctly and standing up for herself, YES GIRL.

hmmm 8th seems to be hiding something bout his relationship with Hae Soo. Interesting....maybe they had some kind of an affair already?

whoa. well that was a very dramatic first meeting for Hae Soo and 4.
Well well well. Ryeo is off to a pretty great start!









No comments:
Post a Comment